Monday, December 19, 2016

Let the experts be experts

Last Friday evening I took the kids to see Bentley.  When we finally got back to see him we were told that the "protocols had changed".  A culture had come back which identified Bentley's infection as MRSA.  We had to put on surgical gloves to interact with him.  We also noticed that his personality had changed.  He was a bit more uncomfortable.  We had a nice visit, but we knew that this wasn't going in the direction we wanted it to.  On Saturday I had 12 hour duty and Krysta was playing catch up with a million things, and she worked all night.  It was the first day since 21 November that we didn't get to visit him.  It's hard to believe that it has been a month since he was hit.  Every single decision we have made, we have questioned, and the cascade of decisions since the first have all come with their own cost.

I've made a two observations in the last month that I would like to share with you.  The first?  People make hard decisions every day.  We have spent so much time around the staff at Augusta Animal Emergency (AAE), that we have gotten to see some things that you may never get to see.  I can't tell you about those things because it's not my place to. It's personal and it's private.  It's our unspoken agreement that when we get to lay with Bentley, that everything happening around us in none of our business.  It's their story.  I wish I could document everything I've seen.  They don't get credit for the horrible phone calls they have to make, the long hours of surgery, the years and years they have dedicated to becoming experts, or the countless successes that return pets to people like me.  It's truly amazing.  Their dedication to their profession is inspirational. 

The 2nd?  A lot of people think we are crazy :)  I can see it in their eyes when I tell them what we are doing.  I'm ok with that.  I don't have many friends outside of Facebook LOL.  Professionally, I am very outgoing and go out of my way to engage people and make them smile.  Privately, I don't spend a lot of time with anyone outside of my wife and children.  I don't go out, I don't drink, I don't have those relationships that many of you have.  I have a best friend and we became friends in a time when time was all we had.  I couldn't create that relationship with him today because I don't have time to create it.  I don't have desire to create it.  It's preexisting and permanent.  My other friend is a dog named Bentley. He makes all sorts of noises when he sees me.  He snorts and shakes and his whole body wiggles.  I have a different relationship with him than I have with my Huskies whom I also love dearly.  He is constantly trying to crawl into my lap and when I am dealing with a bout of anxiety or depression he makes me feel better just by being next to me.  He's a pretty easy friend to have. So even though I understand where people are coming from, I hope they try to understand where I'm coming from. 

Krysta and I stopped to see Bentley last night on our way to her work holiday party.  We tried to get a few pictures of him wearing some cute Christmas stuff, but he wasn't trying to participate in that.  Unfortunately, he seemed a little bit more uncomfortable and just couldn't seem to find a position that would suit him.  We left him wondering what the good doctor might say when he saw him the following morning.  You're always hoping for great news, but great news is a little hard to come by these days. Bentley did manage to drink some water and he seemed comforted by our presence.  I wish he could just tell us what do or what not to do.  I would like to think that he just trusts that what we decide is in his best interest. 


Bentley isn't suffering, but he's in a lot of pain.  The right leg is damaged and the infection hasn't done it any favors.  Krysta was able to visit this morning and got some pretty tough news.  Due to so many different factors, against his own desire to salvage the leg, the doctor recommended amputation.  At this point, the condition of the leg, and the amount of pain in the hip is putting him in jeopardy.  It's preventing him from rehabilitating his left leg and it's wearing him down physically and mentally.  If we lose his will to participate, we lose everything.  I called Dr. Davis from the rehabilitation center in Aiken and had her call Dr. Runnels to discuss the risks/rewards.  The general consensus from the experts is to move forward with amputation.  Sometimes you just have to let the experts be experts.

So this is how I left my buddy tonight.  His face burned into my mind on the long drive home.  Tomorrow his right leg will be removed.  He will go through a recovery period.  While that may be painful, it will prevent so much more long term pain.  As soon as possible we will get him to Aiken to start rehab.  They have a chair that he will use to help him.  They said we can borrow it to use around the house.  It should support him enough to allow the left leg to gain muscle mass.  More importantly, we will get him home and that in itself will make him happy. 





This story is far from over.  I just want to thank you all again for your love and  support.  We also want to thank the staff at AAE and Dr. Davis from Aiken.  Please pray for Bentley tomorrow.  If you are not the praying type, think about him tomorrow and put some positive energy out there.  It will be an extremely difficult day for my family and I.  Much love to all.




 



12 comments:

  1. “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

    Bring Bentley home -- Stay Strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this quote Chuck, I still have a book that you wrote this in for me.

      Delete
  2. I'm praying all goes well) for Bentley, and hope he comes home safe where you can surround him with your love. He's a fighter.

    Keep fighting Bentley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. The tide is turning and we are seeing some good results!

      Delete
  3. You're a good man Hoy. We wish you, your family and your pup the very best outcome possible from this series of life changing events.

    We have been keeping you all in our thoughts, and will continue to do so as additional steps are made in the process of bringing Bentley home.

    Keeping our hopes up,
    The Billers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a good man too brother. Thanks so much for supporting us and letting my child live with you lol

      Delete
  4. Guys, I am so sorry you had to make this decision but like you, I trust the expert. Now you might think I am crazy but I have been praying for your Bentley of course but I have been praying for discernment for you too. Praying for you to know that what you decide was what was right, what was best, what would give Bentley the best chance for a life.
    I trust that my Expert, Jesus Christ has answered my prayers and you have peace & comfort in your decision no matter the result. I am praying for the other experts in Bentleys life to be at their very best and allow God to guide their hands. I am praying for everything that is not of healing to be removed from this situation. I pray your Children see the lessons of love and perseverance that You, Krysta & Bentley are teaching them.
    I am a country girl and my decision would not have been the same at all.....but I am not you and I don't have a Bentley and anyone who would question your decision, might do well to just watch & learn as I am. Your journey has purpose and I know God will honor your love for your Bentley.
    I am humbled by every word in your story!
    I am definitely on Team Bentley Hoy!
    Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jan. That means a lot to us. None of these decisions have been easy and I definitely wouldn't fault someone in our shoes who chose differently. There's no "right" answer, just the answer that's right for us. Thanks again for the support and kind words.

      Delete
  5. Hang in there Josh, and family. Prayers are continuing for a successful surgery and recovery for Bentley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Josh, just reading this the first time. Thoughts, prayers and paws crossed for Bentley and your family! Four years ago our Jack Russell Riley was hit by a car and the person left. He had seizers for 18 hours and the vet called us and said we need to say our goodbyes. On the way to the vet I spoke to him through god and said please don't take him yet, he's only 7, I'm not ready, Riley needs us, we need Riley. Then I said Riley, you are not allowed to go now! I cried until I got there and when we arrive,d the vet said, I'm not sure how but Riley made a 360. We walked into the room where he was in an oxygen crate and he got up, started wagging his tail. He's 11 now! I would spend that money again and more for my pets. They're family, they're us! I hope Riley's story helps you all know there is hope and to hang in there. Paws crossed and heads bowed, for Bentleys recovery! <3 Lisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an amazing story Lisha! Animals are absolutely amazing. So glad to hear that your baby is still with you. We are hoping for a happy ending as well :)

      Delete